Course Numbering System
In addition to the fact that courses are usually numbered 100, 200, 300 and 400 to correspond to courses taken in the freshman, sophomore, junior and senior levels, these numbers are assigned according to difficulty of content:
- 100-level: Courses designed to introduce a student to a field of study.
- 200- & 300-level: Intermediate courses designed to broaden and deepen the student’s knowledge of a field.
- 400-level: Advanced courses designed to deepen further the student’s knowledge and allow him or her to synthesize and apply this knowledge.
- 500-level & above: Graduate courses.
- Ordinarily, courses beyond the 100-level have prerequisites.
- Special numbers or sequences of numbers are assigned to certain categories of courses as follows: Senior Seminar: 450, 451, 452, 453, 455, 456, 485; Independent Study: 499