Sport Management Major Mission
The mission of the Sport Management Major is to provide a high-value business educational experience within the Salesian tradition. The major is characterized by a strong faculty-student community; a compassionate and collegial working environment; the advancement of knowledge through high-quality teaching and academic programs, effective communication, and relevant experiential learning; and student engagement with the business world.
Sport Management Major Student Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate from DeSales University with a major in sport management will be able to:
- identify and demonstrate knowledge of the development of sport in the United States and the fundamental theories of sport management;
- describe and explain the professions of sport and the practices of sport managers as they relate to sport organizations, events, facilities, and programs;
- recognize, explain, and apply legal aspects and cases pertaining to tort, contract, and constitutional law as they apply to sport management;
- describe and explain the principles of administration, economics, finance, and the appropriate procedures for decision making in sport organizations, events, facilities, and programs;
- practice in the field of sport management under the supervision of faculty and practitioners.
This business related program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
The sport management major provides a curriculum that combines both sport management and the science of business administration. The philosophy of this major is based on the University’s mission to help students develop all aspects of the person: physical, intellectual, moral, social, aesthetic, and religious.
The sport management curriculum includes historical and philosophical foundations of sport as well as management, marketing, financial, legal, and ethical principles. The professional preparation in sport management, together with the liberal arts core curriculum and practical field experience, will prepare students to become visionary leaders in various segments of the sport industry.